Sunday, December 6, 2009

Parenting Tip # 17 Imagination

While taking my morning walk yesterday, two little girls passed by me. They each had a doll stroller with a doll sitting in one of them and Winnie the Pooh sitting in the other stroller. The child strolling Winnie the Pooh was wearing her mother's high heel boots and necklace and earrings. I couldn't help but smile as they walked by.

I LOVE watching children play and use their imaginations. I LOVE listening in on children's conversations as they play and pretend. I LOVE hearing children sing or hum as they busily play.

One year for Christmas when I had three young boys, money was tight (well to be honest, money has always been tight-especially at Christmas). Anyway, there was no money for Christmas presents. I decided to hit the thrift stores and see if I could find some dress up clothes for my boys. It was the most fun I've had in a long time. It was like a scavenger hunt going from store to store looking for items to complete 3 ensembles. I ended up with a yellow slicker, rain hat and boots for one son, a hard helmet and tools and boots for another son and a football helmet and jersey and shoulder pads for another son. They were in 7th heaven that year as they opened their gifts and immediately put on their clothes and began to pretend.


Give open ended dress ups. You don't have to buy the cutest dance tutu you can find or make. Instead give a yard of the glitziest pink fabric you can buy and watch the imagination soar.

This year for Christmas, give the gift of IMAGINATION!

1 comment:

  1. Good one on Music for Tots - it helps a lot!

    We clearly share similar parenting experiences and views.
    I've been reading one that I'm hooked on - http://todayscliche.com/.
    I have a feeling you'd get a lot out of it.

    Incredible job on your blog; keep it up.

    Thanks,
    peter

    ReplyDelete

Comments

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...