Saturday, September 28, 2013

Parenting Tip - A Zinging Book

I have a new favorite children's book series and author: the Mr Putter and Tabby books by Cynthia Rylant.
Have you read them?  One of my piano mothers told me about them and they are so cute!  I love the unexpected plots in these "early reader" books and the choice of words she uses.  Cranky, juicy, droopy, zing.

The illustrations by Arthur Howard are the best!  I love how Mr. Putter is drawn, as well as his house and cat and Mrs. Teaberry.  I always think the illustrator should get just as much or more attention than the author.  The pictures are what makes a book come alive, after all.

I looked on Cynthia Rylant's webpage and was interested to see that she picked up painting as an adult and was told to "just paint like a child."  I've always wanted to paint.  Is there hope for me?  I noticed she hasn't illustrated any of her books, yet....

What I wanted to write about, though, was the fun words Cynthia Rylant used in Mr. Putter and Tabby Pick the Pears.  Whoever says "cranky" or "zing"?   I'm going to use zing three times this week--it's such a fun word.

And cranky--that could apply to children, husbands, backs, and ourselves.  But to me, cranky sounds more softer and gentler that "mean, irritable, crabby or ornery".  Cranky has a little humor to it.  My hair is cranky today.  My emotions are cranky. 

Thanks, Bonnie, for telling me about these fun books.  They put a little "zing" in my life and I love to pass on "zingful" things.

Share with us if you've read these books or if you have a different favorite book your family loves.

Thanks for reading,

Cathy

******************************************************************************


4 comments:

  1. If you like books with fun words, check out the Froggy series by Johnathan London. They are full of lots of fun words, usually for sound effects. "Froggy Gets Dressed" is great.
    My kids still love the Pout Pout Fish that you introduced to us.
    Another favorite is Richard Scarry's "Cars and Trucks and Things That Go" Burton and I loved that book as kids, now my kids love it. There is a little bug in it called "Goldbug" that is hiding on every page. We love to look for Goldbug, usually looking for Goldbug is even more fun than reading the story. My mom's original was so worn and beat up that we bought a new one for her. When we gave it to her she laughed and said she always wanted to read the story to us as kids, but Burton and I only wanted to look for Goldbug, we didn't care about the story, Burton and I looked at each other and at almost the same time said, "There's a story??!" We had no idea, at least she gets to read the story to her grand-kids!
    Thanks for helping me remember and for the suggestion for a new book to check out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was funny about you and Burton not realizing there was a story line to Richard Scarry's book. Ben use to love to look at those books, but I don't remember a Goldbug. Maybe there wasn't in the one we had or we read the story line and missed out on the bug!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We love any books by Amy Krouse Rosenthal. Especially "Cookies," "Plant a Kiss" and "Duck Rabbit." But I just got several from the library tonight and I love the humor and charm in all of them. Also, "Zen Ties" and "Zen Shorts" by Jon J. Muth. They are beautiful to read and look at and he does the writing and illustrating. And pretty much anything by Peter Reynolds, esp. "The Dot" and "Ish."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yes, I love "The Dot" and "Ish"!!!
    I'll have to look into Jon J Muth. Thanks

    ReplyDelete

Comments

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...